Education System in USA
Types of Degree Offered
The USA offers a variety of Degrees and is one of the top developed nations of the world. Right from Medicine to all other courses, the USA has a lot of scope for students from foreign countries who come here with the guidance of Abroad Consultants like Torah Overseas.
- Associate Degree: Community Colleges award a degree of two years. Completion of an associate can cause the transfer to the remaining 2 Years’ bachelor’s degree in high ranked University having an articulated agreement with the junior college.
- Bachelor’s Degree: It’s Commonly referred to as an Undergraduate Degree, and therefore the duration is of 4 years. For Ex: Bachelor of Arts (B. A.) or Bachelor of Science(B.S.)
- Masters Degree: The duration generally for all the master’s courses is for two years. Standard samples of Master’s degrees are Masters of Arts (MA), Masters of Science (MS), Masters of Engineering (MEng), Masters of Business Administration. except for courses like Masters in Management, MEng. Degrees, LLM, etc. the duration could also be of 1 year.
- Doctorate: Commonly referred to as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The period may range from 3-5 years. Ph.D. students got to submit a search proposal also as a need to appear Standardized Test i.e. GRE/GMAT and TOEFL/IELTS for admission.
In the US, Students with Bachelor’s degrees may apply directly into the doctoral programs without first earning a Master’s degree in some majors.
Facts on the type of Universities
- State-Funded Institutions.
- Not for profit and financially supported by Public Taxes.
- University offers Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate courses.
- Usually large in Size.
- All levels of degrees with different fields of study are offered.
- – University of Texas
- – Georgia Institute of Technology
- – University of Florida
- – University of California
- – University of Maryland, College Park.
Represented Public Universities in order of ranking are:
Arizona State University,
Tennessee Tech University,
University of Arizona,
University of Maryland Baltimore County,
George Mason University,
Colorado State University,
Oregon State University,
California State University East Bay and Fresno,
University of South Florida,
West Virginia University,
University of Idaho,
University of Nebraska – Lincoln,
Washington State University,
University of Cincinnati,
Montana State University,
San Jose State University,
Illinois State University,
San Francisco State University,
Wright State University,
and many more.
- These Universities are not State funded.
- Tuition fees are higher.
- Even all ranked Ivy Leagues are Private.
- The tuition fees are almost the same for Domestic as well as international students.
Ranked Private Universities:
Stanford University, MIT,
Carnegie Mellon University.
Brandeis International Business School,
D’Amore -McKim School of Business,
Long Island University-Brooklyn,
Long Island University -C.W. Post,
University of New Haven,
University of St. Thomas,
University of Bridgeport,
California Lutheran University,
Roosevelt University, Valparaiso University,
University of Tampa,
Oklahoma City University,
Upper Iowa University,
City University of Seattle,
Southern New Hampshire,
University of Pacific,
Hult International Business School
& many more.
The IVY League Universities
- Oldest & most famous in the US.
- Located mainly in the North-eastern part of the US.
- Known for its Business School also has many graduate & professional schools.
- Tuition fees at these private schools are among the highest in the country.
- Admission is highly competitive.
University of Pennsylvania,
Dartmouth College ,
Cornell University &
- Two-year community colleges usually offer the associate’s degree, such as an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS).
- Community colleges often have open admissions policies with low tuition fees.
- These institutions offer academic, technical, and vocational degrees. Provide Certificates, Diplomas & Associate Degrees.
- The colleges of the same community have automatic enrollment agreements with a local 4-year college that offers the first two years of study, and another University provides the remaining 2 years of study, which is also known as 2 + 2 programs.
Represented Colleges: – San Mateo Colleges of Silicon Valley, American Honors (8-Community Colleges), and Seattle Central Community College.
Different Types of Financial Aid available while doing Masters in US
- Tuition Fee Waiver in form of Assistantships
- Research Assistantships
- Teaching Assistantships
- Graduate Assistantships
- Part-Time Jobs (On Campus)
NOTE: There are even options that provide work-study programs wherein the University allows the scholar to figure full time even during his classes. Classes are held within the evening or on weekends & the scholar works full time during the day. These options are particularly good for college kids with low budgets. Torah Overseas has been an active part in educating students on USA based opportunities and are considered to be the Top Study Abroad Consultants.
Time schedule for US for Fall Intake (September)
- Coaching: June, July, August
- Self Study & appear for GRE/GMAT/SAT: September
- Results : October
- Start Application procedure: October
- Fall Intake deadlines commences: November onwards till May
- I-20’s (Offer Letter) : March to June
- Visas: May to July
- Fly to US: Mid August